If you’re on a student budget, back-to-school expenses may seem daunting. Here are a few tips to keep your wallet thick during this time:
- Reassess your “needs” – Effective marketing turns wants into needs. Sometimes you need to ask yourself whether you actually need that new jacket or new stationary supplies. Maybe you can wear your old jacket for another year. Maybe you do have leftover supplies from the previous school year. If you want to save, buying new items for back-to-school should never be your primary solution.
- Use your student discount – You’d be surprised to know that many retailers offer student discounts that are not very well-publicized. Follow your favourite stores on their social networks or visit their website to find out if a student discount is available. You can also check out this link to apply for a Student Price Card.
- Use online coupons – Many retailers offer coupons when you sign up for their email list. If you’re concerned about spam, simply sign up, use the coupon and then unsubscribe.
- Browse online listings – One of the biggest expenses especially for first year college or university students may be furniture & household-related items. Before you head off to the store, visit Kijiji, LetGo and Craigslist to see if you can find a bargain. You’ll only be living away for 4 years or less which means you can live without that brand new microwave or worktable.
- Be patient – After the back-to-school peak shopping season, many stores mark down merchandise since they need the inventory & floor space available for fall and holiday items. If you don’t need to buy it right now, you could save a lot by waiting.
Share this article with your friends or family or follow us for more useful tips.
The dealing representatives at GRESP are here to help you save for your child’s post-secondary education, maximize all grants, build financial stability, and ensure your investment in a RESP is secure and growing. We are a multi-cultural company with trained experts who speak your language.
If you’re interested in finding out more about government grants or getting started with a RESP Plan, find a Global RESP Corporation dealing representative in your area. Or fill out a form and a Global RESP Corporation dealing representative will contact you.